Tribute to Alexander McQueen
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Default Tribute to Alexander McQueen

I'm so shocked when I heard a tragic news that one of my fashion heroes passed away few hours ago Hidden Content He was truly one of the most brilliant and versatile designers ever. Clothes that were at times the most fragile and beautiful things you could imagine and then turn around and give you the hardest hitting things you had ever seen.

so I decided to make this thread as a Tribute for Alexander McQueen.

Here's the biography about him:

Biography
    Born in 1969 in the East End of London, the son of a taxi driver, McQueen started making dresses for his three sisters at a young age and announced his intention of becoming a fashion designer. He said that one of his earliest memories was from around the age of 3 when he drew a picture of a dress on a piece of bare wall which had been exposed by peeling wallpaper in the council house where his family lived. McQueen jokingly called it his first design sketch.

Career
    McQueen left Rokeby School at 16, landing himself an apprenticeship with Savile Row tailors Anderson & Sheppard, then working for Gieves & Hawkes and the famous theatrical costumiers Angels and Bermans. Whilst on Savile Row, McQueen's clients included Mikhail Gorbachev and Charles, Prince of Wales; McQueen recounted in an interview that he once wrote the words "I am a cunt" in biro into the sleeve lining of a suit he was working on for Prince Charles. At the age of 20, he spent a period of time working for Koji Tatsuno before travelling to Milan, Italy and working for Romeo Gigli.

McQueen returned to London in 1994 and applied to London's most prestigious fashion school, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design to work as a pattern cutter tutor. Due to the strength of his portfolio he was persuaded by the Head of the Masters course to enrol on the course as a student. He received his Masters degree in Fashion design and famously, his graduation collection was bought in its entirety by influential fashion stylist Isabella Blow, who was said to have persuaded McQueen to change his name from Lee to Alexander (his middle name) when he subsequently launched his fashion career.

Icelandic singer Björk sought McQueen's work for the cover of her album Homogenic in 1997.

Design history
    Alexander McQueen's early runway collections developed his reputation for controversy and shock tactics (earning the title "l'enfant terrible" and "the hooligan of English fashion"), with trousers aptly named "bumsters", and a collection entitled "Highland Rape". McQueen was known for his lavish, unconventional runway shows, such as a recreation of a shipwreck for his spring 2003 collection, spring 2005’s human chess game and his fall 2006 show, Widows of Culloden, which featured a life-sized hologram of supermodel Kate Moss, dressed in yards of rippling fabric.

Givenchy appointment
    The president of LVMH, Bernard Arnault caused a stir when he instated McQueen as head designer at Givenchy in 1996, succeeding John Galliano. Upon arrival at Givenchy, McQueen insulted the founder by calling him ‘irrelevant’. Thus, his first couture collection with Givenchy was unsuccessful, with even McQueen telling Vogue in October 1997 that the collection was “crap”. McQueen toned down his act at Givenchy, but continued to indulge his rebellious streak, causing controversy in Autumn 1998 with a show which included car-robots spraying paint over white cotton dresses, and double amputee model Aimee Mullins striding down the catwalk on intricately carved wooden legs. McQueen stayed with Givenchy until March 2001, when the contract he said was "constraining his creativity" was ended.

Accomplishments
    Some of Alexander McQueen's accomplishments included being one of the youngest designers to achieve the title "British Designer of the Year", which he won four times between 1996 and 2003. He was also awarded the CBE, as well as being named International Designer of the Year at the Council of Fashion Designer Awards. December 2000 saw a new partnership for McQueen with Gucci Group acquiring 51% of the company, and McQueen serving as Creative Director. Plans for expansion included the opening of stores in London, Milan, and New York, and the launch of his perfumes Kingdom, and more recently My Queen. In 2005, McQueen collaborated with Puma to create a special line of trainers for the shoe brand.

McQueen became the first designer to participate in MAC's newest promotion: cosmetic releases created by fashion designers. The collection, McQueen, was released on 11 October 2007 and reflects the looks used on the Autumn/Winter McQueen catwalk. The inspiration for the collection was the Elizabeth Taylor movie Cleopatra, and thus the models sported intense blue, green, and teal eyes with strong black liner extended Egyptian-style. McQueen handpicked the makeup.

Company
    By the end of 2007, Alexander McQueen had boutiques in New York, London, Los Angeles, Milan, and Las Vegas. Grammy winning trend setter Rihanna is one of the many famous celebrities that frequently wears Alexander McQueen, often seen wearing the pieces of clothing to events. Another is Lady Gaga, whose unique style often incorporates Alexander McQueen pieces in her music videos.[8] As of 14 July 2008, the Alexander McQueen Internet store has launched on the company website, allowing shoppers to purchase ready-to-wear and accessories on line.

Personal life
    McQueen was openly gay. He described coming out a young age: "I was sure of myself and my sexuality and I've got nothing to hide. I went straight from my mother's womb onto the gay parade".

McQueen received press attention after the May 2007 suicide of his close friend, Isabella Blow. The two met early in McQueen's career, when Blow desperately wanted to meet the young designer, even resorting to calling his mother in order to arrange a meeting. Rumors were published that there was a rift between McQueen and Blow at the time of her death, rumors that focused on McQueen's under appreciation of Blow. In response to these rumors, McQueen told an interviewer:

“ It’s so much bollocks. These people just don’t know what they’re talking about. They don’t know me. They don’t know my relationship with Isabella. It’s complete *******t. People can talk; you can ask her sisters.… That part of the industry, they should stay away from my life, or mine and Isabella’s life. What I had with Isabella was completely disassociated from fashion, beyond fashion. ”

Scuba diving
    One of McQueen's passions when he was not working was scuba diving. In a 2009 video interview with his friend Nick Knight of Show Studio, he described diving as one of his greatest pleasures and also as a source of inspiration. An undersea influence was clearly evident in his much acclaimed October 2009 fashion show, 'Plato's Atlantis'. Much of his diving was done around the Pacific Ocean.

Death

His death was announced on 11 February 2010. He is believed to have committed suicide. A source at McQueen’s office confirmed his death to the Daily Mail, saying: ‘It is a tragic loss. We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family." McQueen was found dead at his London home and Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

On 3rd February, he wrote on his Twitter page that his mother had passed away the day before, adding: "RIP mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx." Four days later he wrote that he had had an "awful week" but said "friends have been great", adding: "now i have to some how pull myself together".[10]

A statement released by his office (on February 11, 2010) - referring to the designer by his given first name, Lee - read: "On behalf of Lee McQueen's family, Alexander McQueen today announces the tragic news that Lee McQueen, the founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand, has been found dead at his home."
    (source: wikipedia)

here's some pic from his last collection SS RTW 2010:

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    images courtesy style.com

see the rest of his time-line career: Hidden Content

Goodbye McQueen may you Rest in Peace...
    Hidden Content
    Last edited by dina_nita; Feb 12, 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tribute to Alexander McQueen

have a look on his collection at Net-A-Porter.com Hidden Content

rest in peace, our fashion hero Hidden Content
    YoungLiving Distributor : Line = myriarafiz
    The Blog | Ready Pepta 370, Nano Blur 250, Eysilix 325, Snoxin 385, Mary Jo K 645rb

WA : 085643429169 / line: myriarafiz

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

here's the detailed picture why he was such a genius!!

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    courtesy of style.com

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

He is amazing and beyond inspirational. His work is just brushstrokes of genius. His originality and creativity are unparalleled. I am beyond words to describe how wonderful his creations are.

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little note about him taken from Net-A-Porter.com :

At the start of his career, British designer Alexander McQueen attained a rebellious reputation with his avant-garde shows. Amidst the controversy, he distinguished himself with dramatic tailoring and ground-breaking collections. Fall '08 is a romantic re-imagining of the British colonial era and is a regally-chic homage to Queen Elizabeth II. Highlights include a Queen print bustier dress, a playful Union Jack clutch and dazzling Maharani-inspired jewelry.
    YoungLiving Distributor : Line = myriarafiz
    The Blog | Ready Pepta 370, Nano Blur 250, Eysilix 325, Snoxin 385, Mary Jo K 645rb

WA : 085643429169 / line: myriarafiz

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

sedih banget denger kabar ini...
    design-nya selalu spektakuler, bakal keilangan design2 keren dia deh. Hiks :'(
    rest in peace mcqueen

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

McQueen for TARGET (sayang gw ga punya kesempatan buat punya koleksi target Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Permanent Resident mega kristin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hiks hiks hiks baru liat britanya di yahoo..
    dsni udah ada...

i pray u rest in peace,Sir..Amin

and ur invention of skull scarf, i'll never forget.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Hidden Content
    the amazing detail of his dress

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP McQueen....
    what a sad news Hidden Content
    I was still contemplating before but now I'm sure I'm gonna buy his scarf!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sediihhh jg Hidden Content
    semalemann shock kirain hoak ternyata beneran Hidden Content

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iya, baru aja baca newsnya...RIP Alexander...katanya suicide, is that true?
    I'm a fan of his work...
    IG @y.vonita

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Ironis-nya seharusnya dia fashion show sorenya for his newest collection Hidden Content
    Posted via mobile Device

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

baru umur brp .. keliatannya masih muda ya? RIP

Permanent Resident lookforernest's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)